Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Crested Gecko Terrarium

To take a Break from all the Crochet Posts, I thought I would post my step by step process that went into setting up a newer, bigger tank for my Crested Gecko.

So First off, excuse the Mess in the Background, my house is a disaster right now.

I took the tank and washed it all out with vinegar water to get all the Water spots off the glass. Then I stood it up on its side so that it would be taller, rather than wide.



Next, I took a couple pizza boxes and cut/taped them so that they would fit on the bottom of the tank for the Substrate to go in. (It also makes it super easy when Cleaning out the tank!)



Then I lined the Box with a garbage bag to make it water proof, and layered in my substrate (Rocks, Garden cloth, and Coconut Fiber, topped with some Forest moss-not pictured till after)
I cut a butter container for a planter. I transplanted my plant into it so it wouldn't have to be up-rooted every time I need to clean the Substrate out, and would look natural.



After transplanting, I slid the box in the tank and started adding fake plants and branches.
You can see in the Picture there is some Styrofoam filling in the gap between the Box and glass. This is there so that Crickets cant get down behind, also, Im planning on using the same thickness of Styrofoam to make a backround rock wall. (hi density foam and grout) so its just temporary, until then.



So that's it, Took me about an hour and a bit from start to finish. Definitely happy with it!

Before and after time!!

-BEFORE-


-AFTER-


And of course, I cant have a post about the Tank without showing off the Little guy who lives in it :)

Meet, "The Gent". He's a badass :)
-Click to see the bigger version-





And one last one to show his color when he's Fired up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment